Smartphones are becoming more and more popular for photography. As a result digital camera’s have become increasingly advanced and expensive. Still, an affordable digital camera can have substantial benefits over your smartphone. In this article we will give you several options for the best camera under 200 dollars. Go ahead, and read along with us.
First things first. Don’t expect wonders from camera’s in this price class. The sensor in these is somewhat larger, which should lead to increased image quality. But in practice this difference is slim, and most research goes to the development of smartphone sensors. Instead, we focus on a couple of camera’s that offer distinct features that most smartphones don’t have.
1. Remember camera’s that zoom?
One of the obvious features that dedicated camera’s offer that your smartphone doesn’t, is zoom. Sure, on your smartphone you can also ‘zoom in’ your image, but this is nothing more than cropping a small part of your image at the cost of image quality. Feature-wise these definitely qualify as the best camera under 200 dollars.
OUR CHOICE: Panasonic DMC-ZS35K / Sony DSC-H300
- 35x optical zoom is more then enough. More zoom in this price class will have poor quality, and will be almost impossible to hold steady.
- These are the only camera we found in this price class with manual controls for shutter speed and aperture. This is a huge unique selling point if you want to learn more about photography
- The Panasonic has a tilting screen for selfies, and both have a 24mm wide angle lens which is great for landscapes.
2. The compact all-rounder
Do you want something a little bit smaller than the first option, but still prefer the image quality of a real camera? No worries, we got you covered.
Our Choice: The Sony DSC-WX220
- The camera is very pocketable
- Can shoot full HD 1080p/60FPS movies
- And has optical image stabilisation
3. Let’s Go for a Swim
Another nice category is the waterproof camera’s. These camera retain basic image quality and zooming features, but offer underwater capabilities on top of that. The funny thing is that this specific camera is actually the best-selling cheap camera on Amazon at the moment of writing.
Our choice: Nikon COOLPIX S33
- Waterproof till 10 meter and shockproof for drops of 1.5 meter.
- Works in very cold weather
- 3x optical zoom, wide angle lens, and full HD video
4. Action heroes
The final category which seemed appropriate is that of the action cameras. These little devices do great for video, but also have functionalities for photography. We pick two great options that might be your best camera under 200 dollars.
Our choice: GoPro HERO Session / Yi 4K action CAM
We picked two very different options. The first is the GoPro HERO Session for $199, and the second is the Yi 4K Action Cam also for $199. A big advantage of these kind of camera’s is that there is a huge ecosystem out there with accessories and camera mounts. Next to that:
- Both camera have a unique wide angle lens, something your smartphone will not give you.
- The GoPro is a tough little cube, which is waterproof, and ready for shooting in extreme environments. We are attracted by its simplicity.
- The Yi is an action cam that is up there with the most expensive models both in features and in image quality, but for an entry price
- The Yi has a display on the back which makes it a more friendly everyday option.
Your Best Camera under 200 Dollars?
In this article we have been searching for the best camera under 200 dollars. As you can see there are still many unique selling points that give cheap camera’s added value. We presented you:
- The feature-rich Panasonic DMC-ZS35K and Sony DSC-H300
- The pocketable Sony DSC-WX220
- The waterproof Nikon Coolpix S33
- The action cams GoPro HERO Session and Yi 4K Action Cam.
Which one fits you best? Let us know in the comments below. If you are interested in more articles like this, make sure to like our page to keep yourself updated!